JUNO Awards and Slaight Music Announce launch of The Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class
The JUNO Awards and Slaight Music announce the launch of the premier artist development opportunity in Canada, The Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class. This new initiative provides the crucial tools to help three finalists develop their careers, build their own sustainable business and become “JUNO ready”.
The JUNO Awards and Slaight Music announce the launch of the premier artist development opportunity in Canada, The Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class. This new initiative provides the crucial tools to help three finalists develop their careers, build their own sustainable business and become “JUNO ready”. The deadline for submissions is Thursday, July 27, 2015 at 5:00 pm ET.
The inaugural “master class” includes a week-long customized artist development program co-developed with Canada’s Music Incubator at Coalition Music. This development program provides hands-on mentoring, networking and collaboration opportunities. The Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class brings together the two key mandates of CARAS and The JUNO Awards: music education through MusiCounts and the celebration and promotion of excellence through the JUNO Awards. The program aims to foster the growth of Canadian musicians through mentorship, education, skills training, development and deal-making opportunities. With no submission fee needed to apply, the program requires that an active
CARAS Academy Delegate endorse each applicant’s entry.
For more information click here to watch a video of our Master Class or visit www.junomasterclass.ca.
“It is our goal to help artists in their journey by exposing them to a program that will not only hone their musical skills, but enhance the business side of the industry for them as well,” said Allan Reid, President & CEO, CARAS/The JUNO Awards & MusiCounts. “We are asking CARAS Academy Delegates across the country to endorse artists in their communities that they feel are ready for this next step.”
“Slaight Music remains committed to assisting, promoting and developing opportunities for Canadian musicians to flourish and the Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class is a fabulous extension of our objectives,” said Gary Slaight, CEO /President Slaight Communications. “My father, Allan, was a true leader in championing Canadian artists beginning with Gordon Lightfoot, and I know that he is proud to have this initiative named in his honour.”
Submissions will go through two rounds of judging. Canadian music industry heavyweights, including representatives from major and independent music labels, publishers, agents, managers, and media partners will narrow down the submissions to the top 10. A Super Jury made up of JUNO alumni will facilitate the second round of judging to narrow down the field to three finalists. JUNO Award winners Sam Roberts of the Sam Roberts Band, Max Kerman of Arkells, producer Gavin Brown, and A&R representative Ali Slaight from Slaight Music are amongst the Super Jury. Additional jurors and key partners from the music and media ecosystem to be announced.
“Canada’s Music Incubator at Coalition Music is dedicated to addressing the gap that exists between artists creating music and their ability to operate a small business. New artists are equivalent to starter companies and require entrepreneurial skills and know-how. We are proud to co-develop the artist development program with The JUNO Awards and Slaight Music and to share
our experience, expertise and resources with the artists selected,” says Vel Omazic, Executive Director, Canada’s Music Incubator at Coalition Music.
Three finalists will each receive:
• An all inclusive trip to Toronto for an intensive and customized artist development program with industry leaders and Canadian artists hosted by Canada’s Music Incubator at Coalition Music. The program (October 25–31) will culminate with a music industry showcase night in Toronto for the finalists.
• A trip to the 2016 JUNO Awards in Calgary, Alberta. Includes flights, hotels and JUNO Weekend packages, including tickets to the Welcome Reception, JUNO Gala Dinner & Awards and the live JUNO Awards Broadcast.
• Showcase opportunity at the JUNO Awards during JUNOfest – a two-day music festival during JUNO Weekend – PLUS a chance to perform for the Canadian music industry at the exclusive JUNO Gala Dinner & Awards.
• JUNO TV will film the finalist’s experience of the Master Class program, producing three mini-docs to run on junotv.ca. This series will be directed by MuchMusic Video Award winner and JUNO-nominated music video director Ben Knechtel.
• Studio time at Slaight Music Recording Studios.
• A cash investment in their music career and more.
To be eligible for the Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class program, candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
• Be a Canadian citizen(s).
• Released a minimum of two original singles within the eligibility period (January 1, 2014-July 15, 2015); EPs and albums are also eligible.
• Have never been previously recognized as a JUNO Award nominee either as a solo artist or as part of a group, even if this submission is a new solo project or band.
• Have not sold more than 5,000 albums/EPs or 50,000 singles according to Nielsen SoundScan.
• Must be 19 years of age or older on or before the program deadline.
• Must be available to travel to Toronto, ON for a maximum seven-day artist development program, taking place October 25-31, 2015 and to attend the JUNO Awards in Calgary, AB from April 1–3, 2016.
• Must have an active CARAS Academy Delegate endorse their submission.
For more details visit: http://www.junomasterclass.ca
Leave A Comment